|courtesy of discoverylosangeles|
Preparing for the hike:1. Do some homework: find out as much as you could about the trail.
2. Choose the trail according to your stamina
3. Bring water!
4. Suitable shoes.
Trails:There are 3 "official" trail for the hike, all differs in difficulties, condition of the trail (steepness, shades provided and accessibility) and also the views (depend on visibility).
1. Mt Hollywood Trail
How long: 3.5 mile round trip
Trailhead: Griffith Park (start from Griffith Observatory parking lot or fire road intersecting N. Vermont Canyon Rd., just past the Greek Theater )
Look for the sign of Charlie Turner Trailhead and Mt Hollywood trailhead.
See: Berlin Garden
View: Side-angle view of the Sign,
2. Bronson/Brush Canyon Trail
How long: 6.5 miles round trip
Trailhead : Griffith Park
See: Adam West’s Bat Cave (Bronson Cave), home of the Batmobile in the 60’s Batman TV series. View: city view from behind the Hollywood Sign.
3. Cauhuenga Peak/Wonder View Trail
How long: 3 miles round trip
Trailhead : The View from the Hugh Hefner overlook Aileen Getty Ridge Trail
See: Wisdom Tree, (you may spot :) Mountain lion P-22
View: Hollywood Reservoir, the San Fernando Valley, side view of Hollywood sign.
Which one did We choose?
Caution:1. Wildfire danger on the trails (do not smoke, do not take on the hike if fire danger is on "High")
2. Rattle Snakes (do not wander off the path!)
3. Dehydration (bring water!)
4. DO NOT climb the Sign/ Letters
- A tall perimeter fence with razor wire
- 24 hour electronic surveillance by City of Los Angeles authorities
- Infrared lights and cameras that can see equally as well in the day and on a moonless night
- Monitoring microphones and bullhorns
- Web cameras
- Motion sensors
- Regular patrol visits by city police and park ranger helicopters
Just for a sign? Of course, it is an iconic landmark of Los Angeles!